Foreign Credential Recognition Loans

Relaunch your career in Canada 

Do you need money to have your credentials recognized? Have you lived in Canada for fewer than 10 years? Let us help you get back to your career!

We offer low-interest loans to newcomers with poor or no credit, no collateral and who can’t get a loan from a bank. Our foreign credential recognition loans are available to those living in Toronto, the GTA and Hamilton.

You can borrow up to $15,000 for education and career expenses, such as:

  • Courses and exams (you do not need proof of acceptance to qualify)
  • Books and course materials
  • Qualification assessments
  • Association fees
  • Professional certification
  • Accreditation costs
  • Bridge training
  • Living expenses and other education costs not covered by OSAP

By working with our financial partner, Alterna Savings and Credit Union, we can help improve your credit rating. This means as you pay off your loan, you’ll establish a Canadian credit score, which gives you more options for future borrowing.

Applicant Eligibility

  • 18 years or older
  • Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or Convention Refugee with a legal right to work in Canada
  • A resident of the Greater Toronto Area or Hamilton
  • Demonstrated financial need
  • Unable to obtain a loan from banks and other sources
  • Not in a consumer proposal or bankruptcy, or has been discharged for at least 6 months
  • Up-to-date with, and not owing taxes to, Canada Revenue Agency or child support to the Family Responsibility Office or provide proof of ongoing payments for at least three consecutive months

Application and Required Documents

Complete this application and submit:

  • Credit report and score from Equifax*
  • Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency*
  • Copies of all your post-secondary credentials (degree, diploma and/or certificates)
  • Proof of acceptance for the training, courses or certification program to be taken
  • Two pieces of valid photo ID, e.g. Driver’s License, PR Card (front and back) or Notice of Decision
  • Proof of residence, e.g. utility bill, lease agreement or bank statement
  • Proof of income, e.g. pay stubs, bank statements etc.
  • Resume

*If you arrived in Canada recently and have no credit history or Notice of Assessment, we can still assist you. Please contact us if you are not sure.

Once you’ve submitted your online application, you’ll be asked to email the supporting documents to

Learn more about our terms and conditions on our FAQ page: